Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1982

In 1982, my grandfather Egelund took all of us to Disneyland. It was in May since we celebrated my oldest brother's birthday while we were there. My grandfather was dying of cancer and that was his dying wish to take us all to Disneyland. I don't remember too much of the trip except the Small World ride and then some sort of tram ride. I remember taking naps in my grandparent's big van during the drive there. I also remember every one got Mickey ears but I wanted a coloring book and crayons. I also remember having M&M's melt in my hands (it's not true that they don't) and getting it on my grandmother's coat. She was not very happy about that.

Right before the trip down to Walt Disneyland we moved from our house to a new house next to my Grandparents (dad's parents.) We had to live in a travel trailer for about 6 weeks in my grandparents lawn. When the house was finally ready we slept in it without any power or furniture the first night. We were just glad to be out of the travel trailer.




The last of my siblings was born. My mom went into labor 12 weeks early. They were able to stop it and put her on bed rest for 6 weeks. My grandmother came to take care of us and my mom. I would sit on my mom's bed and play with her. My grandmother, my mom's mom, scared me when I was little. She seemed very brash and would yell a lot. I love her to death now and know that is just her. After 6 weeks of bed rest my mom had my little brother 6 weeks early. He stayed in the hospital for about a week. His name was Jeremy but he got the nickname Jerm because my dad said he would be germ free when he came home.

I started 1st grade a few weeks after Jeremy was born. I attended Acequia Elementary. My mom took me registration day and showed my my class and introduced me to my teacher, Ms. Fraham. The first day of school however another teacher claimed I was in her class. Come to find out I was on both class lists and I got to choose. I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings but finally decided on Ms. Fraham because I had already met her.


I peed my pants once in class. I had to go to the bathroom and went up to the teacher's desk to ask her if I can go and she was telling some boys they had to wait until recess. I thought that applied to me too and sat back down. About ten minutes later I really had to go and raised my hand. She was in the middle of teaching something so didn't call on me right away. I started waving my hand frantically and the moment the bell rang it escaped me and she called on me and I cried, "I peed my pants." I had to wear these really stiff boy pants they had at the office without any underpants until my mom got there with clean clothes. I was so embarrassed. My teacher felt bad since my mom told her I had a weak bladder and when I have to go I had to go. She told me no matter what whenever I had to go to tell her and she would let me go.

I made two best friends in First grade, Robin (who is next to me in the picture) and Amanda (who is on the other side of the sign) Maria (who is next to Amanda) also became a good friend a little later on. Both Robin and Amanda moved away within the next year.

I joined brownies that year as well. I was in the girl scouts for about 4 or 5 years. I was very shy and so my mom pretty much sold my cookies for me. My sister was also in girl scouts and she always got more sells then me because she had no problem talking to people.

This is a picture of us with my grandma, my dad's mom. She lived in California and this was taken at an airport when she flew in to see us that winter.

2 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

These year details are so interesting. What made you think of them?
I too wet my pants in first grade (weak bladder), but my teacher was a beast, made me stand in the corner and when I cried told me to "shut-up". She should not have been a teacher.
Too many coicidences between us. I had a friend, Robin, and joined Brownies, was shy and my mom sold my cookies!:)

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

love your pics and stories! I peed my pants twice in the second grade. lol

Grandma scared me when we were kids too. :)