Monday, January 26, 2009

1981

In the fall of 81 I began Kindergarten. I went to Smith Kindergarten. This was before public kindergarten existed so it was a private one. Both Raydon and Michael had gone to the same one. Two kindergartens met in the old Lincoln school in town. In this picture I am in the second row fourth from the right.

I made my first friend in kindergarten. Her name was Katherine. She lived right next to the school. I went to her birthday party and wouldn't take the balloon they gave me to take home.

I also had another good friend in kindergarten, Lee. He's 2nd from the left on the top. Later I was in his ward for a few years although we didn't go to school together again until 7th grade, Junior High.

Mrs. Smith was my teacher and Mrs. Aikens (the one in the picture) was the aide, or secondary teacher, or something like that. I was too young to really understand. Mrs. Smith was sick and died that year. My class attended her funeral. That was my first funeral that I remember. Afterwards Mrs. Aikens took over the class. I didn't like Mrs. Aikens at first because I thought she was mean. It might be because when some boy scribbled all over my desk she made me clean it off. I sat there bawling and bawling. Another little girl told me to tell her who had done it but I wouldn't so she did for me and got me out of trouble. I later became good friends with Mrs. Aikens older son Adam (in high school) and found out she wasn't mean.

The Jordan River temple was dedicated that year.

World events: First launch of the space shuttle. First female Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor. Prince Charles and Diana marry. The birth of MTV. US Department of Agriculture tries to make ketchup a school lunch vegetable. Pac-Man is introduced. First reports of AIDS (not named at the time.) American hostages released from 14 months of captivity in Iran. Assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

love your kindergarten memories, and you may be inspiring me to do something similar for my birthday. :)