Friday, November 14, 2008

This is what I am talking about in #6 of prior post

My husband came home this morning and told me about this story:

"LOS ANGELES (AP) - Letters containing a suspicious white powder were sent Thursday to Mormon temples in Los Angeles and Salt Lake City that were the sites of protests against the church's support of California's gay marriage ban.

The temple in the Westwood area of Los Angeles was evacuated before a hazardous materials crew determined the envelope's contents were not toxic, said FBI spokesman Jason Pack.

The temple in downtown Salt Lake City, where the church is based, received a similar envelope containing a white powder that spilled onto a clerk's hand.

The room was decontaminated and the envelope taken by the FBI for testing. The clerk showed no signs of illness, but the scare shut down a building at Temple Square for more than an hour, said Scott Freitag, a spokesman for the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

None of the writing on the envelope was threatening, and the church received no calls or messages related to the package, Freitag said.

Protests in recent days have targeted the Mormon church, which encouraged its members to fight the recently passed amendment banning gay marriage in California.

Authorities are looking into several theories on who sent the letters and why, Pack said.
Anthrax mailed as a white powder to Washington lawmakers and media outlets killed five people and sickened 17 just weeks after the attacks of September 11, 2001. Periodic hoaxes modeled on the anthrax mailings have popped up since then but usually prove harmless. "

This is not the first of these stories. I have heard of people having to go through throngs of protestors jus to get to the temple in California. I seen the video about the protestors all going out to Salt Lake to protest at the temple after Prop 8 passed in California. Here we had Ammendment 2 that passed that was the same as Prop 8. Luckily the church hasn't been blamed for that one passing here and there has been no protests here.

But come on, people, grow up! It was put to the vote. People voted how they felt and now because the people screaming for tolerance didn't get their way they are now being the intolerant hypocrites they claim others are.

It should come as no surprise how the church stands on same sex relationships. It has made it's view known. It's called "The Family: A Proclamation to the World. Other churches has similar positions. If people don't like that view or opinion they have the option of changing their religion.

What happened to the First Amendment? What happened to people being able to worship how they choose? What happened to people having the freedom of speech? These people are screaming for it but then the turn and infringe on another's First Amendment right.

I voted for the Amendment not only because that is what I believe but because I do not want the schools taking my right away to teach my children what I feel is right and wrong. I don't want schools teaching my son and daughter something is right when I believe it to be morally wrong. Schools should teach children math, reading, writing, and science. Religious teachings should be the parents and churches responsibilities. I do not and will not persecute someone else because they believe differently. I expect the same respect.

(Ugh, as I am typing this they are having a discussion on Fox News about this very topic and the "expert" they have on there for "Civil Rights" just claimed the LDS church has delusional views on marriage so what right do the members have denying others the same right. Just goes to show that even "experts" are delusional.)

3 comments:

Cher said...

The whole thing is just sad. People just get way carried away.

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

That sort of thing just makes me want to vomit! I am so glad it passed. I hate intolerant people. Ugh, I am going to end or I will go off on a soapbox!

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. :) I think we as members of the church have been in a time of peace and prosperity, and now the persecutions begin that our ancestors dealt with.