Sunday, November 16, 2008

In the Primary Again

About 6 weeks ago I was interviewed by a member of the bishopric to be the 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency again. It was the position I was released from under the old President but the new president wanted me in the same position. I accepted. It was the Sunday before General Conference so they said they would sustain me the week after Conference.

That week came and went and I was not sustained. I noticed the counselor who interviewed me wasn't in church so I thought maybe they were waiting for him. The next week came and went as well. We then went on vacation for the next two weeks.

Last week we just went to Sacrament meeting because I was still hacking away and Timmy and Sheila both had coughs and sniffles. The executive secretary came up and asked Ray and me if the bishop had talked to us yet. We said no so he set up a meeting for Wednesday. That day in Sacrament meeting they changed the counselor that had interviewed me with a new counselor.

On Wednesday Ray and I were interviewed by the new counselor. I told Ray before hand I wondered if they would ask me in the primary presidency again and if they had forgotten since it happened so long ago. The new counselor started asking Ray what he did in the church so I started to think, maybe I was wrong, maybe it was a calling for Ray. Ray was the secretary in Elders Quorum but the Presidency has recently changed and since we were gone so long we were unsure if he had been released or not.

So after making a note of that to find out if he was still the secretary he asked me what I did in the church. I answered, "Well, nothing." Then told him the story of being called and never being sustained. So he told me he was going to find out about that and if I was still intended to be the 2nd counselor I would be sustained today.

Well, today I was sustained. But I got the rest of the story. The counselor that had originally interviewed me went out of town for two weeks after General Conference and didn't realize the bishop didn't know that I had accepted. So it was not communicated between them. Anyway, the executive secretary apologized to me for the delay but no harm done. I was gone or sick half that time too so maybe it worked out for the best.

Anyway, I am excited to be in the Primary again. Our primary program is next week and this week we just practiced. We are having a ward meeting and a stake meeting this week so I should get thrown back into the swing of things very soon.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Congrats on your calling. I was the second counselor in the primary a few years ago, and loved it. I love primary, I am so happy to be a teacher in the primary again! Good luck with your program!