Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Grouch Shift

My father is a police officer, for those who didn't know, and so he has worked revolving shifts as long as I could remember. One shift we all came to dread was what we/he dubbed the "grouch shift." That was the shift of midnight to 8 a.m. or a similar shift. We would have to be so quiet during the day so he could sleep. I'm sure most of you know how hard it is to keep children quiet all day long.

Well, my husband is on the grouch shift for the week. Luckily he doesn't have to work it often. Usually his job is the normal day time hours but on occassion if they have something going on they have a night shift. Last time they had an exercise at work he was on days so this time he is on nights. Also luckily my husband is a real heavy sleeper so once he is out it should take a lot to wake him up. But I still need to figure out ways too keep some quiet. I think that if the weather is nice enough I will take the kids out to play with sidewalk chalk and go on some walks. Maybe we will get the playdoh out and take She's folding table outside too and let them have at it.

2 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Good thinking. Also, build a fort in the yard, bubbles, go for a walk, play at the park, get creative, but you are!:O) Sorry for the grouch shift.

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

yeah, not fun. Occasionally Brian will have to work all night (thats when no one is on the computers) and trying to keep things quiet so he can catch up on sleep, is difficult.