Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where Were You...









When the world stopped turning? That's how the song goes. I well remember that day 7 years ago. I woke up to the radio announcing the news that an airplane had crashed into the world trade center. Being so out of it I thought they said London until it sank in that Manhattan was in New York. I immediately run downstairs to tell me roommates. No one was home so I went back upstairs to listen. About that time the second one hit. I listened upstairs as long as I could because we did not have a television at the time and I had to listen to the radio. I heard one of my roommates come in and ran down to tell her. She told me her sister was in New York and immediately tried to get a hold of her. Several hours later she learned she was okay.

I drove to campus that day (usually I walked) so I could listen to the radio. As I was parking the second tower collapsed. I went to class and it was very hushed. Some people didn't know yet. My one friend went several hours without knowing.

Later that night at work (Wal-Mart) several of us sat in the back and watched the coverage on television. It was a very slow and somber day and the few customers we did have stopped to watch the coverage on the televisions around the store. I was mortified. There are no feelings to describe how I felt and I am sure my grief was only a hundredth of the grief that those felt who had lost a loved one that day. I bought and saved the magazines (Times, People, etc.) that covered that event. We must always remember what brave men and women have and continue to fight and die for; our freedom to stand up, to speak out, to embrace our own morals and values, not ones imposed on us by a dictatorial government that fuels the terrorists. I will never forget and my eyes may never be dry when I see the images of that day.


2 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I have never explained this significance of this day before, but Brilee is at an age to somewhat understand it now. We talked about it this morning as we walked Tucker to school. So hard to explain to a small child, but so important at the same time. I remember the images and watching the towers fall on television in the early morning.

Thank heavens for those willing to serve our country and protect our freedoms.

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Oh, that day will haunt my memory forever! Each generation has a war they will never forget, a turning point in their lives. This was ours.