Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I need BA, according to my husband

Okay, so what is BA you ask? It is books annonymous. Let me explain. I have never been on drugs and even taking something a little stronger than advil makes me loopy so I just don't know what an addiction feels like in that sense but I am addicted to one thing, books. I stopped reading for a short time after getting married. I use to read at night before I went to bed. But I wanted to spend that time with my husband. Soon I was having sleepless nights and tossing and turner. I discovered it was withdrawals from reading at night. It helps me relax and focus my mind so I can sleep. So I took up reading again. I read usually around half an hour before I shut off the light. But I have a problem. Sometimes with a new book I get addicted. That is what happened to me this weekend. That is why I have only now blogged after reading 2 full books in 5 days time. Plus part of an online book.

I will try to explain further. It all started a few months ago. I was looking for new books to read since I had finished all the Harry Potters and all the Robert Jordans and was debating what I wanted to read next. My children's teenage babysitter and I went on a walk one day (I use to be her YW leader and her mom was the Primary President that I was counselor too so I knew her well.) She's very into sci-fi things and I was talking to her about that. She was the first to tell me about the Twilight series although I had heard it mentioned on my HS website. I had just started into Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series and was rereading the Wheel of Time series. I decided to check into the Twilight series sometime in the future. About a month ago I ordered some books on Amazon and saw the first two books of the Twilight series for a good price so ordered them as well. They came and I put them on my nightstand to start in the future. I read the two Brandon Sanderson books (the second Mistborn and the first Alcatraz) really quickly (yes, I was addicted to them too) and then started back in the Robert Jordan book, the 7th one. I finished that one last week. So I picked up the Twilight book and couldn't put it down. After 2 days I had finished it. I felt like I was starting to have withdrawals. I had told myself that I would read the 2nd one after I finished the 8th Robert Jordan book (now remember this is my second time through the Robert Jordan books so I wasn't soaking them in like I usually do with a new book.) I thought about the Twilight book all the time. I felt like I was in a dream state. I wanted to know what happened next.

I looked up the author online because I wanted to see how many are in the series. (I just ordered the 3rd and it should be here sometime next week or the next and then I will order the 4th with my next order around the middle of October. Mistborn 3 is coming out and so is Alcatraz 2 in the middle of October.) I saw that there was a fifth one and clicked on that link Midnight Sun but disappointingly I learned that it had been leaked on the internet and she was putting it on hold indefinitely ( I hope someday she does finish it) and there was a link for a partial draft, which I immediately started reading.

After talking to my husband about the symptoms I was having he told me to just read the 2nd book (and that I needed BA.) So as soon as I got home Monday I did and I read almost 300 pages that night.

So I couldn't just read all day. I had to clean, do laundry, feed the kids but every second I had free I read. I read while my kids watched their shows, during commercials of shows I wanted to watch, to my son when I put him down for a nap, and yes even during bathroom breaks. I do have a conflict of timing though because the fair is next week and I have to enter stuff Friday or Saturday so I have been trying to get all my small projects done. But last night I thankfully finished the 2nd book and luckily I won't get the third for awhile so I can finish my projects the rest of the week. I am almost finished with the partial draft of the other one too but since I get headaches reading a computer screen too long I have been reading those in short sections.

Now I don't know how addicts to drugs and alcohol feel but I think I can understand the feeling of thinking you need something so bad that it's hard to get enough of it.

3 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Hm, tend to agree with your hubby. You need BA!:O)LOL

Cher said...

yea another "Twilight Groopie"!!! Love it!
Did you see my countdown til the movie? Cant wait!! So excited!!!

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Ha, we could form an online support group! :) And then we'll need one for our hubby's to join too, so they can lament over our addictions, and of course, in the future the kids will need one too. :)

I just started the third twilight book. I like them, but don't love them. I haven't heard of Robert Jordan, have to look into him! I can tell you some of my other fave authors, if you run out of material. ;)