Friday, February 1, 2008

Phone Scams

I just read an email from a friend that was a forward claiming about a jury notice phone scam fraud where someone calls saying you didn't show up for jury duty and that you have an arrest warrant. Then you freak out and say you never got a notice so they ask for your social to verify and use scare tactics to keep you on the defense. Being skeptical of the forwards I receive I checked out one of the FBI links and looks like it is legit. Although if they would have called me I would have hung up on them anyway. A few weeks ago their was a phone scam in the area using one of the local banks names. I heard about it on the news. Well, a few days later I get this phone call and they said, "Your benefits at such and such bank are about to expire." I hung up at that point thinking to myself "we don't use that bank, but I will ask Ray when he gets home if he ever had an account there." It was not the bank that was on the news. I then totally forgot about it until a day later when we were watching the news and they said another phone scam was going around using such and such banks name. Good thing I hung up on them. Although I hope I am smart enough to see the red flags when they start asking for my social security number or my credit card number. I did fall for a paypal spoof once but luckily I acted fast and got passwords changed and put a fraud alert on my credit report so nothing came of that.

No comments: