Monday, October 27, 2008

Cozumel, Mexico


The ship got into Cozumel at 8 a.m. We had signed up for the bike and snorkel adventure shore excursion. It originally was supposed to start at 9 so we were going to do that from 9-1 and then that would give us from 1-5 to shop and eat lunch out. But the night before we got a note under our door saying because of operational difficulties it was going to start at 10 instead. Ray and I decided to try to do a little shopping before the shore excursion. He wanted to get a hat. I wanted to go to Del Sol to get the kids some bears.

When we left the ship at 8:30 we were carrying our beach towels and had my camera case. It was down pouring rain. The pier was pretty long and we had to walk down the pier to the little shopping area but they said in the shop talk that those were the most expensive shops with prices jacked up. We needed to find biodegradeable sunblock for our shore excursion as well. No one had it. We started to walk down the street along the coastline where all the little shops were. We started to get soaking wet. I put my towel over the camera case to protect it a little bit. We walked about 7 blocks to the Del Sol store and it was closed still. We started heading back and noticed Viva Mexico was open. We got the Mexican Survival kit because it had a blanket, bag, and hat included. However, it also came with another bottle of tequila. So now we had two to give away. Ray also picked up a poncho. I decided to wait because I was already wet.

We had worn our sneakers and socks because we were going to bike. The roads become rivers when it rains there. They have no gutter system and so to cross the road our feet were completely covered in water. We get back to the pier where we meet our guide at 9:30. Ray and I decided to go on the ship and change out of wet clothes.

I put on some work out shorts (we had our swimsuits on underneath because of the snorkeling part) instead of the wet denim ones and put on some comfy worn out sandals. We hurry back off the ship and get to the meeting point. We were the only ones there with a few guides sitting there. After we sit down they ask if they can help us. We tell them we are there for the bike and snorkel. They then inform us that it has been cancelled because of the weather and wave conditions.

It was now 10 a.m. Most of the shore excursions had already started but we decide to go back to the ship and try to get another one. We get back on the ship and the shore excursion desk is closed but one of the carnival people is there and she tells us that a lot of shore excursions have been cancelled and we might as well go do what we want and then come back later that night to make sure we are refunded the money.

We decide to do some shopping. We go back to our room and change again and I leave my big camera there and just take the digital. We go back out and the weather is clearing up. We go back to Del Sol and start back. The prices in Del Sol are outrageous. Granted it is pretty cool that the stuff changes color in the sun but with being on a budget we couldn’t afford to get everyone tee shirts there. Instead we went to a little shop next door and bought 5 shirts for $20. She got two since she is hard to buy for and I found two I knew she would like. T doesn’t get to wear his until he is 4 since that is the smallest size they had. We also got the kids some maracas there.

We make our way down going in some of the shops that carnival recommended. I got some pearls at A Touch of Gold. They were $1.50 per inch while here in the US they are around $11 per inch. Then we went back to Viva Mexico. We got some vanilla, a blanket for my friend for watching the kids, and another bag since the first one we got there when we got back to the ship with it and it had rained had gotten it’s yellow die all over everything. We got a big black canvas bag that zipped up. It was nice until Ray rubbed a hole in it getting off the ship. I should be able to mend it okay. Both times we spent money there at that store we also got a small bottle of vanilla free so I ended up with the large one I bought and two small ones. I gave one of the small one to Noel as well along with the blanket. She mentioned (before she knew I had gotten some small bottles) that she should have asked me to get her some since she had just run out of her Mexican vanilla. I wish I had thought of getting her a big bottle but I was glad to give her one of my small bottles. She did me a huge favor by watching our kids so long and it was the least I could do.

While in Viva Mexico it started to rain really hard again. We went up to the bar/restaurant above it to try and wait out the rain a little bit. I should have bought a poncho then when it was $3 like Ray did but I didn’t and you will see why when I get to Calica. We ordered some chips and salsa and guacamole. It was very good. We wanted to eat at one of the little restaurants but decided just try to get to the ship and out of the rain and eat at the buffet.

We did stop at one other shop that was recommended. I try to bargain for a purse (real leather) but they only came down $10. I didn’t buy it. I am not a great bargainer (neither is Ray) so we stuck to shops that had their prices at a price we were willing to pay. One lady got some one to more than half their price on an item.
There were people dressed up in different characters that wanted tips for pictures. I only took a picture of one since they were pretty cool. While it was still nice out we stopped at the little plaza and sat in the park. It was beautiful.

We got back to the ship and I took some pictures of the port and then we went downstairs and ended up watching Hancock while we waited for the weather to clear. We were disappointed that we didn’t get to see more of Cozumel.

Also I knew we would be hounded to buy things but every shop (and each shop was only a few feet across so every five feet or so was another one) had 2, 3, 4, or more people outside calling to us trying to get us to come in. Don’t ever try to take anything free. They suck you in. A guy was offering a free map and I reach out to take it and he immediately pulls it back and starts talking and writing all over the map at how to get to his resort and kept going. We walked away after a few minutes.

I was also surprised at the prices. I guess they have them so high because they usually end up knocking down the price, sometimes significantly for the hard bargainers.

2 comments:

Cher said...

I love Mexican Vanilla that is all I use I know that they say to only use half of what is asked for in a recipe because of how strong it is but I use full strength.YUMMY! My Mom gets it for me. She found a website that you can get it from too.
Sounds like you never got away from that Tequilla.

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

I have heard the vanilla is awesome. :) Sorry things rained on your parade! :(