Saturday, August 9, 2008

Wahoo, the Olympics


I love the Olympics. When I was a kid (and they were every 4 years both summer and winter) I would rejoice on those years. There are certain sports I don't want to miss from either season but generally watch whatever is on all day long. I get a lot of crocheting and knitting done at those times. I remember great past Olympic moments like when Paul Wylie (I think that was his name) was an alternate for the USA men's figure skating and was not supposed to do very well. He took the silver but was denied the gold even though Victor Pentrenko (sorry if I misspell these names) fell (1992 I think). I remember Paul Hamm in Man's Gymnastics in 2004 fall and pretty much be counted out and then come back to take the gold and also the all around title. Just to have it contested a day later by another gymnast. Glad that held. Judging is not always technical.
So last night I was glued to the TV for the opening ceremonies. I was not disappointed. I loved the drums with the lights and then the moving printing blocks. Great precision and all powered by human beings and not computers. I tried to watch every country come in. I realized I need to study a globe again since some countries seem to have changed or formed since my school days.
Today I have watched as soon as I could. I watched the USA women's basketball team win their first match, the USA women's fencing team sweep the metals, the USA volleyball team win against Japan, the Australia beach volleyball win their first match and now rowing is on. I also watched bits of horse riding, weightlifting and cycling. Tonight I am excited to see the first swimming and gymnastics. I remember seeing Michael Phelps pretty much take the Athen games and hope to see him do it again.
When I was a little girl I wanted to be an Olympian, preferrably gymnastics or figure skating. That never happened but I still can watch the dreams of others be fulfilled. I root for USA or the underdog team. I love to see countries that have never metaled get a metal. I love to see those who come into the games the underdogs prove everyone wrong. This should be one time that we as fellow human beings should put aside our differences, show good sportmanship and celebrate with the athletes. Too bad we can't solve all the world issues with a good sporting match or if not that chess, or math, or spelling bees.

No comments: