Saturday, August 16, 2008

More Golden Moments

I have felt the adrenaline rush, the excitement, the disappointment. I have jumped up and down, chanted "USA! USA!" and "Go! Go! Go!" My eyes have teared up and I will be sad to see the Olympics end in a week. But for now I want to relive some more golden moments. Rebecca Soni surprised many when she unexpectively won a silver medal in her first race. After seeing that performance I was excited to see her second race and she outswam them all to win the gold.
The gymnastics was on so late that I ended up going to bed after 2 rotations. I recorded the rest so I knew the outcome before I finished it. I went to bed disappointed thinking that our girls received lower scores than they deserved and thought there was clear favoritism going on (especially after seeing some of the team competition too.) When I learned that USA went gold and silver I was excited to see the rest of the competition. I admit I got a little choked up seeing Nastia Liukin become choked up when she was singing the national anthem. She looked like a bellerina on the beam and the floor. And Shawn Johnson was just as exceptional.
And who will ever forget this photo finish. I thought for sure he was going to get the silver. A half of a stroke that should have cost him the race instead won him the race by .01 seconds.
Two races will be talked about for years to come. The one in my previous blog and this one. I loved the reaction of his mother almost as much as his reaction. I hope this next week will be just as exciting with the events to come.

1 comment:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Oh my goodness. Don't you love him? I mean,what he can do? He's amazing. I love to watch him. It's like he's running in water!:O) I loved watching Nastia and Shawn. Those are some seriously talented young women!:O)GO USA!!!