Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ugh, Gustav! Go away!

Gustav is not supposed to come anywhere near us. We will probably get winds and rain comparable to what we got from Fay, but a lot more storm surge. I know I should not complain. At least I don't live in New Orleans but this storm has turned my world upside down and has made me madder than a wet hen.

He is the reason I went to church by myself and it keeps getting worse by the hour. Ray was supposed to have a four day holiday weekend. Wednesday he found out it wasn't going to be a 4 day weekend any more. He had to work Friday. The new commander has never been through a storm and was completely freaking out. We had a huge weekend planned (thankfully no plans on Friday.) Then Friday he calls me and drops the bomb. He would not have any days off until who know when and he would be working 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. every day until further notice. We had rented a convertible for Ray's birthday and had a day trip planned. I cried and raged for over an hour. It didn't help that I have been having migraines almost every day and was so exhausted.

He called me a few hours later to let me know someone volunteered to work for him on Saturday so our plans wouldn't be ruined. Thank You! We had a fun day (next post.) Well, I go off to church today thinking that when I got home my husband would be home 2 hours later and I could finally get a nap.

He calls me about an hour before I expect him home. And drops another bomb on me. He won't be home until 6. They have decided to go to 24 hours (until no more hurricanes threaten the Gulf, which may be November 30 when Hurricane Season ends.) He is now working 12 hour days. The only good news is that he will have Thursday and Friday off. I hope I can go that long with out losing it with my migraines. Luckily I was able to snooze while my daughter colored and my son napped. I think Advil will be my best friend for the next few days or weeks.

Oh, and an ironic side note is that about two weeks ago they had a meeting on being undermanned and how that is causing stress on a lot of families and that they were going to try to ease up on them somewhat. If this is easing up than I rather go back to the stressful time before.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

No fun! I'm sorry hon. I hope Ray and you both get a break soon!