Thursday, August 6, 2009

Shopping Spree

I gave my husband a chance to redeem himself for Mother's Day (he didn't get me a gift until over a week after the day because he procrastinated too long) and told him that Joann's was having a sale on a lot of things I was interested in these next two weeks. Our anniversary is on the 22nd so I told him he could let me go on a shopping spree instead of a gift this year. The catch is that the Joann's here is rather small and lately have not had all that I wanted to get from the fliers so I wanted to go to a Joann's Superstore and the closest one is just under 2 hours away. Tuesday Ray took me on that shopping spree.

We started off doing a few errands around town and then headed out. We got to Pensacola around lunch time. We stopped at Denny's for lunch. I had breakfast, of course. I think I have always had breakfast at Denny's. We even let the kids pick something off the kid's menu instead of just sharing ours. Then we headed over to the store where I spent about an hour perusing the aisles. I was disappointed that they didn't have a big selection of Sizzix dies and Cricut cartridges as I had hoped but I was finally able to get some of the paper stacks I wanted and are never at the Joann's or other hobby stores here. I even got several trims, Sizzix dies, and paper that were on clearance. I picked up a doll that I am making clothes for with the 40% off coupon. That will be for Sheila for her birthday. She picked it out but Ray took them out right before I checked out so I told her I put the doll back because we would have to wait until her birthday to get it. It is still in the back of the van waiting to come in the house when Sheila is asleep and I remember it.

After Joann's we had planned to go to the mall there and see if they had a candy shop to take the kids to since they had been so good in the car and store. (We would have taken them to the park or something but it had started to rain.) We drive the short distance to the mall and it is like a ghost town. No one is parked in the front of the mall, main entrance. And I mean no cars, zero, zilch. There are few cars by the big stores like Sears, JCPenneys. So Ray pulled up to the curb and went in to see if they had anything we might be interested in. He came out to report that he thought he saw some undead in there. He said that most of the storefronts are completely vacant. Only the big stores are still open.

So instead we found a Dairy Queen on the way out of town and stopped to get a treat. The kids each got a kid cone. Sheila will only eat "white" (vanilla) ice cream. They never eat the cone but we did get Timmy to take a bite this time. Ray and I got blizzards and I tried the Thin Mint Girl Scout one. Last time I had the Tagalongs. We then headed home. It was a fun day just to get out of town. I even almost finished a book in the car during the ride. The kids watched four movies, two on the way there and two on the way back so they were pretty content.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

sounds like a nice time! Glad you could find some fun stuff!