Thursday, August 27, 2009

Making cookies

I had been planning on making sugar cookies with the kids, particularly Sheila, for awhile. Yesterday after school we decided to make them. Timmy was asleep on the couch so that made it easy for her to stand on her stool and help me mix up the dough and roll it out.
Here she is ready for the dough to get rolled out so she could cut it. The dough was very stickjy so it took a lot of kneading and flour to get it so it wouldn't stick to everything.
Here are some cookies ready to go in the oven. We used all the cookie cutters we could find (since the kids love to play with them and they are scattered around the house. Don't worry I did wash them before we used them since who knows where they have all been.) We had Halloween and Christmas cookies.

Sheila really loved cutting out the cookies. It took some practice for her to get it to cut all the way through the dough but she cut more cookies than I did and did a very good job.


Here are some that are cooling and waiting to be frosted.

We waited until after dinner to frost the cookies. Daddy and Timmy were both also able to help. I forgot I had used all my red food coloring in a previous dessert and forgot to replace it so we only had blue, green, and yellow. Sheila didn't want any of those colors so she choose to leave her frosting white. (She had wanted pink.)
We gave each of the kids a plate of cookies to frost with Ray and I frosting the majority of them. It was funny to watch Timmy. He put very little on each of his first cookies and then tried to put the rest of the frosting on his last two cookies. Blue frosting and a two year old is not the best mixture but he sure had fun.


And here are the finished products. We all sampled some when we were done. And I finally found a cookie that Sheila likes. She doesn't like most cookies. But she ate two sugar cookies last night plus one before that wasn't frosted.
This was good practice for Halloween. I am hoping to be recovered enough from having the baby by Halloween so I can make sugar cookies with the kids again and this time we will make white ghost, black (or as black as we can make the frosting) bats and cats (found that cutter this morning in the kids room,) and orange pumpkins. Then also make them for other holidays.

2 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Mmmmm, those look yummy. I bet Sheila had a great time helping make them. She looks happy!

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

so fun! My kids love frosting sugar cookies, its making me hungry!