Thursday, January 24, 2008

Worst High School Memory

I just joined a new High School website and even though it has been fun catching up with some of the people, most of the people on that site I only have positive memories of, it has been bringing up a lot of memories and a lot of them are not happy. I had a bad senior year and I think that is why I have so many negative memories of high school.

Anyway, I was thinking of this and thought about posting it there but don't feel like I can share that info with some of the people involved so decided to post it here.

My Senior year for a church activity we learned to swing dance. Because our ward didn't have enough boys the girls were encouraged to find guys to come to make sure everyone had a partner. I invited two guy friends and they both came. I ended up doing the dance lessons with the one. I think we had 3-4 weeks of them. A month or so later a girl choice dance came up at school . I hadn't been to a dance that year and so decided to ask one of the two that learned the dances with me because I thought it would be fun to show off what we could do. I also figured that one of those guys would go since we were friends and there was no hidden agenda. I decided to ask the guy that I had learned with since I knew he and I could dance well together.

After asking him he told me he had a track meet that day but that he would find out if he would be back in time for it. Then he slowly stopped talking to me. I saw him talking to a girl that didn't like me one day and they were looking at me so I am sure him going to the dance with me was being discussed. I found out from someone else in track that the meet was cancelled. Still no answer. The day of the dance came and went and I did not go. That next Monday a friend came up to me and said, "Guess who was at the dance?" She then told me that he was at the dance with another girl. Another friend later told me she helped this other girl ask him and had no idea I had already asked him. I wrote him a nasty note that another friend delivered and he called me some choice words.

He and I had English class together and one of my friends that was irate about the whole thing was in there too. Another guy friend got up and did a presentation on dating. Afterwards he asked if there was any questions. My friend , staring holes into the guy who stood me up in a way, raised her hand and asked, "So what if a girl ask a guy to a dance and he never answers her but gets asked by another girl and goes with that girl?" The room exploded in outrage and I just sat there and smiled smugly. I didn't dare turn around since he sat behind me and over one chair. My friend who sat behind me continued to stare at him and she said he went bright red.

At the end of the year he started talking to me again. I don't think he ever really apologized but just acted like it never happened. I didn't realize I was so scarred from that until I started thinking about high school. I would like to have more positive memories of high school.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

OH, I am so sorry that happened to you. High school was yucky for me too. But, hey, look on the bright side. Look at what you have now, that they might not!:O)