Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Mom's Scariest Moment

My son pulled down the bowlful of goldfish crackers that his sister had left off. I swooped in and hurriedly picked them up and put the bowl away. I left the room for a moment and when I came back in he is standing by the couch gagging. He has a horrible gag reflux and gags on everything. I ran over to him and he looks at me, still gagging, and just starts crying, his "I'm scared" cry. I pick him up and start slapping him on the back. He is gagging and screaming. I frantically search for my husband. I can smell the goldfish cracker as my son gags in my face. My husband is nowhere to be found. I thought he was changing our daughter in the back bedrooms. I couldn't even find my daughter. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. At this point my son starts throwing up all over me. My husband finally hearing my shouting comes running in and I said, "He just threw up on me." My husband points to my shoulder where the offending goldfish is now lying and states, "That's why." My poor son is still shrieking from the ordeal. I knew he could breath because he was crying the whole time but it still freaked me out that he couldn't gag it up on his own. My husband took him so I could change my shirt and he got our son calmed down. I never want to go through that again.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I can not tell you how many times that has happened. Little B had some candy from church once and choked on it at home. I couldn't get it out and we called 911. By the time they got there we had it out, but boy howdy scary. The twins are always gagging on fruit snacks, and throwing them up. I figure if they can gag, they can get it out. Still frightmare!