Monday, January 28, 2008

Farewell to a Great Man, President Gordon B. Hinckley



Last night I received a message on my answer machine. It was my brother telling me that the Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away. I ran to my husband to tell him and then I tried to find it on the news. Perhaps it was still too soon because nothing on the web and nothing on the TV. This morning I did so again and all I have found was one article on the web and one small blurb on the news. Because I don't live in Utah/Idaho or the West for even that matter I doubt I will hear much about the passing of the greatest man to live in my generation so far. The news is full of news about the passing of a young actor, the presidential race, and the crowning of Miss America; yet, the most important person dies and the news barely blinks its eyes. I mourn. I mourn for what the world will miss in the passing of this man and not even realize.

President Gordon B. Hinckley had the Spirit with him. I never met him personally but I was in the room with him a few times and whenever he entered the room a feeling of reverence and peace would blanket all those within his presence. His mission is complete now and he has returned home to his beloved wife and Our Heavenly Father. Another, Thomas S. Monson, will take up the reigns and be the next great leader of our faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Beautiful. I couldn't have said it better myself. I will sure miss this great man.