Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Twilight Zone at the Dentist


It seems like whenever I go to the dentist I enter the twilight zone and I can remember every time I have been there like it was yesterday. I stare up at the ceiling and the lights as they work on my teeth and I remember doing the same thing a year ago, 10 years ago, as far back as the first time I visited the dentist. Okay, I really don't remember the first time I went to the dentist but I remember enough to feel like I have been there more frequently than I have. I have only had two dentists in my life so that could be part of it. But I remember the ladies that use to work in my dentist office when I was a kid. They were always the same faces and they would talk to each other as they would work on one of my siblings and my teeth. My mom would always take us all together. The dentist only had two rooms, that I can remember, and had an open window between the two rooms.

Today I went to the dentist for my biannual check up and cleaning and all those memories came flooding back to me, as if I had never ever left the dentist office. The rest of my life is but a dream and when I wake I sit in a chair with someone hoovering over my mouth, poking and prodding away.

No comments: