Friday, April 23, 2010

Ugly Words

Sheila's bus driver informed me this afternoon that Sheila was using some really ugly words this morning on the bus.  I was shocked.  She has never said those words at home and Ray and I do not use those words.  We don't watch any shows that use those words frequently.  Sheila really doesn't watch TV anyway besides cartoons.  If a show has too many ugly words I turn it off.  I can't stand to watch shows, no matter how funny they are, that use that kind of language.

At first I think Sheila thought she was in trouble because she would just answer, "I can't know" when I asked her who she heard say those words.  She rides the bus with kids all the way up to sixth grade but they have a good bus driver and so I am sure he doesn't let them use that language.

After I talked to her about how they were bad/ugly words and that they are very mean to say to people.  I told her what the one word meant but the other she is too young to know.  I asked her if she would say them again and she said no.  I then told her if someone wanted her to say those words to tell them "They are dirty words and I don't put dirty words in my mouth."

Finally when I was telling Ray about it on the phone she told me she heard two of her classmates use those words.  I just can't believe little five year olds know those words.  I thought I would eventually have to deal with them picking up something worse (Timmy picked up the D word but we pretty much got that stopped) but I didn't think it would happen until they were way older.  I told Sheila that she wasn't in trouble but now that she knows not to use those words that if I heard that she used them again that she would be in trouble.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Oh no. Brian said he learned the ugliest word when he was in kindergarten from his classmates. Hopefully now that she knows they are ugly she'll stop saying them.