Friday, July 25, 2008

Sick of looking at it

We have lived in our house for 4 years and I am already sick of looking at the walls. The builder used the crappiest paint ever. He went on and on about how easy flat paint was to wash. I have not found that to be the case. I have stopped trying to keep up with the spot upkeep. Everything shows up. I am going to paint the house starting this fall (when it is cool enough to open the windows to let it ventilate.) I think I will start in the dining room and kitchen since I know about the color schemes I want in there. I know I want to use red and a sand color and maybe one other accent color. I also would like to tile the back splash above the counter and below the cupboards. Our counters are blue and our cabinets are oak (I think.) Most of my decorations are light houses and they are mostly red, blue, and white or sand colors so those colors should go nicely. I will also replace the drapes in the dining room since ours are so faded and I want something that will hang nicer.

But the paint is not the only thing I am sick of. I am sick of our carpet. we just got the standard carpet since we got upgrades other places in the house. It was probably a smart move in the long run since our kids spill everything on it. But right now it looks horrible. We are going to steam clean it soon but as soon as I can I will replace the carpet as well. My husband chose carpet in our dining room and I tried to talk him out of it. Now he wishes I had succeeded. At the time we could only afford carpet or vinyl and I only like vinyl in smaller rooms (although our kitchen has it but it is a real nice vinyl that looks like tile.) I would like to replace the carpet in the dining room with hard wood floors. I think that will look nicer and easier to keep clean then carpet but also easier to clean than tile since I won't have to worry about stuff getting stuck in the grout.

We have almost got all the furniture we will need (just need more for the kids rooms as we have more and they get bigger) so now we can focus on upgrading things in our home and I hardly can wait to get started.

2 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Oh honey! Flat paint is a lazy man's way of slapping it up there and being done. I couldn't agree with you more to get it repainted. I like your color scheme too, very pretty. Post pictures when you get stuff done. I love to see redecorations and renovations.:)

Cher said...

Sounds like you are ready for some fun! I cant wait til we can paint and decorate our house. Maybe next year!