Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sheila's school Easter party

Today was Sheila's Easter party at school. Timmy was invited to come so he and I went up to the school at the appointed time. First they had snacks of tiny cupcakes, cookie, marshmallow bunnies, pretzels, and capri suns. Sheila ate the sprinkles off of her cupcake, one pretzel , and one marshmallow before she had to be done since all the other kids had already finished and were waiting to go hunt eggs. Timmy finished almost all of his. He fit right in (besides being half their age) he lined up with them, put his basket down with theirs when directed, and followed their lead.
Sheila's class joined one of the other preschool classes for their egg hunt. Here they are lining up to begin.
Sheila and Timmy enjoyed searching for eggs.
Unfortunately they weren't as fast as the other kids and Sheila got 5 eggs and Timmy 4. I had a flashback to an egg hunt I went to when I was 5-6 and everytime I went to pick up an egg a child would swoop in and snatch from under my hand. After several attempts I sat down and cried. My sister gave me some of her eggs. I started to have some of those feelings back when I saw the other kids with lots of eggs and my kids with half as many. But they had fun and seemed not to notice so I told myself not to worry about it although it did bother me. Ever since that experience when I am in charge of an egg hunt I try to make it a little more fair and make sure all the kids get around the same amount.
After the egg hunt they sat down and got to eat candy from two of the eggs.
Still a little upset about it I called Ray when I got home and told him my experience. He told me what I already knew, that the kids didn't seem to mind so I shouldn't either. Then Sheila came home on the bus and I felt a lot better. She came home with a whole basket full of eggs and some other little gifts. She has been sharing with her brother. She is a really nice big sister.
Here are some of her spoils from the party.

And the cute little bunny egg holder she made. (It got smashed when she accidentally stepped on it. I had to glue the eye back on.)

4 comments:

Cher said...

I think it is hard to watch the little ones (that really dont know or understand how things work) get taken advantage of. Especially when it is your own child. We are going to to a little hunt for Emma at our house. It will be her first time having a hunt so I didnt want to make a big deal out of it. Although it would be fun to see her out there with other kids. Looks like the kiddos had a good time either way! Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

I should mention that Sheila might have gotten more eggs if she had gone on her own (since Timmy was the slow one) but she wanted to stay with Timmy and I. What a sweetie.

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

What a cute egg holder. It looks like they had a lot of fun. I wish my Benjamin's preschool would do something fun like that. Yay for egg hunts and at least they didn't mind that they didn't get so many eggs.

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Very cute little holder, and her hair is so long and pretty too! :) I miss Brilee's little ringlets at the bottom of her hair. :(

We went to a community egg hunt last year, and my kids got diddly, and it was very frustrating for them. This year we are avoiding that and doing it at our house with their cousin... with specifications on how equal it will be. Though these were preschoolers, I am often amazed at how little parents teach their kids about sharing and equality.