Saturday, February 14, 2009

"Believe" the Shamu show

The other show we went to was the "Shampoo" show as Sheila called it. We sat in the soak zone, meaning that you can get wet if you sit there but we were at the top of the soak zone and we have sat in that section almost everytime we come and never got wet before.


Here is one of the whales waving at us.

Timmy loved the Shamu show. He climbed on my lap so he could see better. I told Ray to get a picture of us watching the show and this what he got. Glad he cut me out of it since we get so many pictures of me anyway. (Dripping with sarcasm.)

There were probably about 10 total whales in the show. Here are six with their trainers. (I think there was one more during this time not in the picture.) At the beginning a baby came out with his mother and also did some jumps. I wish Ray had gotten a picture of that. I did with the 35 mm.

Here is one of Shamu's splashes. He is the biggest whale there. The far right lower corner you can see the spray hitting everyone. Of course we didn't get wet. But the people on the lower benches below us got absolutely soaked. He can cause some major splashes. They also changed the Shamu show. It doesn't have the audience participation as much (glad I got to do that before they changed it, a few years back I was chosen to go on the platform in front and pet Shamu and then give him a command to do a jump.) It's not as theatrical as the dolphin one but the jumps the whales do is very impressive. Especially when 5 or more are jumping together.

This is an awesome picture that Ray got of Shamu feeling the whole screen. What a beautiful creature. Despite not being able to swim I think I should have been born a mermaid because I love the ocean and the ocean creatures.

3 comments:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

I didn't know you couldn't swim. Are you serious, or you just can't very well? Looks like the show was a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Let me clarify a little bit. I only took two years of swim lessons when I was very young so I am self taught and that means I can hardly swim. I can swim the length of a pool if I really try.

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

love the pics. Brian and I got to play with shamu on our honeymoon it was fun. Ray is quite the cameraman! lol