Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Getting to the bottom of it

A few days ago I posted about the bane of my existence, ten pounds. So I am bound and determined to get to the bottom of why the scale is not budging. So yesterday I was watching the Biggest Loser and I found out that you have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound. My gosh that is a lot of calories. So if I wanted to lose 1 pound a week I need to burn 500 calories more a day than I consume. I did a brief calculation and found that I am barely burning more calories than I am consuming on a moderate active day. So today I have ramped up my activity level. They have 4 levels on the activity scale I looked at: no activity (that's not me since I do have two young kids and stay home with them,) moderate active (some of my days), active (some of my days), and very active. So my goal is to try to have more active days than moderate active and consume the amount of calories that are for my optimal weight.

I don't have to give up sweets (I really don't eat many unless it's around a holiday, thank you Easter.) I also found out my beloved toaster strudels are so much more calories than just toast or a pancake so I am going to cut back on them and eat more pancakes and toast. I don't have to cut out all things that taste great but aren't healthiest option. I am getting serious about this because I want to get in shape for my husband for that cruise. I don't think I am overweight. According to the BMI I am in the pefect weight zone but I would like to be more in the middle of it again. Also I know I need to get more active for my children so that they will be active and will not become in that 60% overweight American catergory.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Way to go! I couldn't be any more active if I tried. My boys have me outside all day chasing balls or throwing them, pushing them on the swing and going, going! I ban whole milk and went straight to skim, that has helped me loose a lot right there. Good luck!!!:O)

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.