Monday, May 2, 2011

Proud to be an American

Once again patriotism is showing its glorious head on the news.  For years I wondered where our patriotism had gone; what with a president going around apologizing to other world leaders, making sure we didn't step on anyones toes, and rejecting the faith of our forefathers to coddle those that believe differently so we wouldn't look intolerant.  I have said we are so tolerant we are intolerant.  We are so compassionate we are incompassionate.  Etc.  It seems like we are so afraid of offending someone we offend everyone.  But this morning, or rather last night when the news broke that Usama Bin Laden was dead, people came out to celebrate and show their patriotism.  I got out my Times magazine and Newsweek from the day after 9/11 and showed my children what that man did to us so they could understand why this moment is so important to us.  I knew he wasn't holed up in cave somewhere.  I knew he was probably staying somewhere nice and plush so he could be having his little laugh and spitting in our eye thinking he would never be found. And to get him just before the tenth anniversary, what a bitter sweet moment.  Bitter because we lost so many innocent lives but sweet that their memory will be honored now by taking down the mastermind.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Well put, Melynda, well put!