Thursday, May 12, 2011

Be an Example

I have not always been the best example to my children.  I don't read my scriptures every day, I sometimes say things they shouldn't be repeating, and I often yell.  However I do try to instill in them good values and to do the right thing.  Today when I was finished with another headache inducing shopping trip at Walmart, with my daughter not happy the whole time and my son trying to quiet her in a not so gentle way, I was loading the van with the purchases and lifted up my purse to discover the birthday card I had picked up for my mother that I had totally forgot about and didn't pay for.  My heart sank.  I rarely do that but it made me sick.  Someone was waiting for our parking spot but after I got everything else loaded in the van I took the card and my children and headed back into the store.  A nice older couple let us go ahead of them since I only had the card. I told the cashier what had happened and she thanked me for bringing it back in.  I had explained to my son why we were going back in to the store because I want him to know that it is never right to take something without paying for it even if it was an accident.

On a sad note, my mother called me last night to tell me that the lady I use to babysit for passed away yesterday from a heart attack.  She was a very active woman of seven children.  She was only 50 years old.  Her children range from about 29 to 10.  Three still live at home and one son is on a mission.  (I babysat the oldest three mostly.)  She will be missed by those who knew and loved her.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

We've had a few instances of run back to pay before. It is always great for the kids to see!

and how sad that the woman passed away. Her poor kids. I think it is harder when it is unexpected, and she had young children as well. :(