Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Adjusting to a newborn

This is my first time fully breast feeding. Finally success. Some of you know of the struggle I had with the first two. Anyway, one thing I was not use to was an infant that wants to nurse 24/7. Well, that is what it seems like. Kimberly has what I like to call "feeding frenzies." She will want to nurse every hour for several hours in a row and then take a 2-3 hour nap and then start again. I was averaging 3 hours of sleep at night for the first 3-4 nights. Then I was up to 6 hours but in 1-2 hour snippets. Last night I put her down at 8:30 and then went to sleep myself. She woke me up at 10:30. I was up until about 12:30 with her. As I lied down I was thinking that if I got 2 hours of sleep more that would be good. At 4:45 this morning I had to wake her up to feed because I was in pain. It was nice to get the 4 hours of straight sleep. Plus the two before and the nearly 2 I got while she nursed this morning I almost got 8 hours of sleep and for the first time in over a week I feel fairly rested.

Before whenever she was awake she wanted to be nursing. Now she will go short periods of times where she will sit and just look around. She is still not too fond of the swing but she will at least go in there for awhile now and even fall asleep if she is really tired. This morning was the first time I was able to really prop her up and take some pictures of her. I hope to download those today sometime and post them.

She is now letting me know it is time to eat again so that is another adjustment, having to stop or cut things short to tend to her. The other kids I can tell just a minute but she does not understand that.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Glad you are getting a bit more sleep now and getting things in somewhat of a routine. I hear # 3 is the hardest adjustment, and every one after that its all the same. :)