Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Random Thoughts & Doings

1. My kids always are doing cute things that make me smile. Here they put Timmy's fold out couch on the recliner and sat in the couch and rocked. They eventually fell out of the chair and clonked heads but they were right back to it after that.
2. We haven't been the best at having FHE lately and also my scripture studying has slacked a lot as well. The other day I realized I would be held responsible for these things and that I needed to take responsibility for it. So we have now had FHE consecutively for 3 weeks now. Even with Ray being gone the kids and I still had it this week. I use the Nursery manual and that is perfect; a lesson of about 5 minutes and then usually something for them to color. They are both participating now by saying the prayers. I am hoping that it will help Sheila want to stay in her primary class.

I have also been reading the scriptures almost daily. I have missed a few days. I found that right after my walk (on weekdays) is the perfect time to read. On the weekends I try to read about the same time. I read one chapter in the Book of Mormon and then 15 minutes in the Old Testament with the Institute manual which is between 1-3 chapters most days. I started the Old Testament about two years ago. It is the only book I have never completed from start to finish. I am now in Judges and if I can keep on track maybe I will finish it within a year. I am learning a lot of really cool names they had back then and giving me ideas for names for my fantasy book I would love to write.

3. In step with getting my spiritual self a kick in the rear, I decided it was time to do the same thing with the house. I use to have a chore calendar that I used to help with the house cleaning. Then our computer crashed (the time before this last time) and I lost the program. I have been floundering ever since with remember to clean things that don't need cleaned very often. So three weeks ago I made up spreadsheets on excel. I separated chores into daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, and semi annually. Then I got to work. My house is looking and smelling so much better. I have things spaced out so I only have to do about an hour worth of work a day. It is very rewarding to have a husband come home to a relatively clean house with less clutter. I have kids so it won't be perfect for awhile.

4. I just had a telemarketer or someone call and ask for "Meladia." Come on people my name is Melynda, it's Melinda with a y. Shouldn't be that hard. If they can't say my name right I am not talking to them. Hang up!

5. Yippee!! Ray comes home tomorrow. I am so glad. I have missed him like crazy. It has been easier than I first feared. I am not pulling my hair out. Sheila actually is going to bed at a decent hour. I think I have a new routine that has helped get the kids settled for the night and we will try to keep it up after Daddy comes home. I am still unsure what time Ray will be home since he may be flying military back. Hopefully he will be able to tell me tonight so I can know what my day will be like tomorrow.

6. I love coconut cream pie. Ray doesn't care for anything coconut. I go to Golden Corral just for the coconut cream pie (and now I know of another restaurant that serves it) and if they don't have it that day I feel it a waste of money to go there. Anyway, my cooking magazines each had one in them last month. So I picked one out and decided to make it while Ray was gone. The kids were with their grandparents for another hour so I thought that would be plenty of time. Well, I scalded the first filling and had to throw it down the drain and start anew wasting 15 minutes. Then I had the hardest time getting it to thicken and when that batch started showing signs of scalding I just decided to use it. Then the meringue took way too long. It was still in my kitchen aid mixer being beaten when the kids came home. Finally it thickened into stiff peaks and I finished off the pie and baked it. I then had to chill it over night. I cut into it the next day and unfortunately the very center was still runny but it has the best taste. I think next time I attempt it there is a few things I will try to make it better. If it hadn't tasted so good I would just say "Forget it" and just try to find places to buy one when I am craving it.

7. My energy levels are finally back. I am starting to do more of my hobbies again. I crochet, knit, and cross-stitch while I watch television. Right now I am working on four projects. I work on two Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The other two Tuesday, Thursday. and the weekends. I was just working on one or two but I get two bored if they are very long projects so I started some quicker projects as well. Right now I am making knit doll outfits, knit baby blanket, crochet baby sweater and blanket, and I am cross-stitching a baby announcement that I started when I was pregnant for Timmy. I hope to have his done and start the new baby's soon. I am hoping to have a good deal done before the fair since that is my only extra money I make now that I don't sell on ebay.

8. I am also working on scrapbooking and sewing during the day. I scrapbook 2-3 weeks of the month and then sew 2 weeks. Right now is sewing. I started a quilt for the baby this week and have 2/3 of the quilt top done. I am just doing a basic quilt block of two different materials. It is jungle theme and very cute. I still need to get a few things before I can finish that so after I get the quilt top done I will start on a slip for Sheila. I also have material for Sheila's Cinderella costume for Halloween that I will start soon. I plan on going through my extra material this week and get stuff pulled out for doll clothes and barbie clothes. I will also plan out more baby clothes and blankets. I have one boy outfit finished and one cut out so I just need to plan some girl stuff.

9. I love to read and write as well. I have several stories I dabble on but I don't get much time to just sit down and write so no novels are coming out of me yet but I hope someday. Reading is my relaxing nightly thing. Right now I am going through the Jane Austen books and the Work in the Glory series for the third time. I never got through a Jane Austen book before. I started with Sense and Sensibility. The style was not what I am use to so it took me a little bit to really get into it but I really enjoyed it. I put the movie on my netflix list and near the top. Now I am on Pride and Prejudice. I have a list about 60+ books that I own that I want to read or reread. I have about 4 more books coming this next month. My mad money that use to go to stuff for my ebay business is now going to books. I am trying to get hardbacks of all my favorites to replace my softbacks that don't last more than two or three readings since I love to reread some books.

10. My sciatic nerves have been bothering me. This time it is the right side. It has been bad since Saturday. Sunday my whole leg went numb and then into cramps. I am trying to rest it as often as possible but sitting and standing are really hard sometimes.

11. School is almost over. Sheila has 3 1/2 days left. The last week of school she only has 1 1/2 days. The first day she has a water party and gets to wear her bathing suit to school. The next day is half a day and she has her end of year ceremony so Timmy and I will be going to that. I hope Ray will be able to get the morning off so he can go as well.

12. So my dreams have been really vivid like always during pregnancy. Last night I dreamt about the signs of the end of the world. It was just a short dream and not really scary just eery. But the night before I dreamt that I went into labor and that it was just like Sheila's, 50 hours. I got sent home from the hospital because I wasn't progressing but when the baby finally came she was a girl. Maybe that is a sign.

Well, that is some of the stuff I have been up to or on my mind the last few weeks when I haven't been blogging as much. Hope it hasn't been too boring.

3 comments:

Cher said...

I also had a dream the other night that I was having another girl. (more drama for the hubby!)
We have found that since having kids our scripture reading has slowed down. We do try to read 5-6 verses but its not like the chapters that we were once able to do. As for FHE we are lucky if we can sing 2-3 primary songs with them. And the name thing...you should hear how people butcher mine. We get a good laugh anyway.
Glad to hear that you are getting your energy back. I have mine in the morning...afternoon for me...ugh lets just not go there.

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Sounds like you have been busy, even with Ray gone. I'm sure it will be nice to have him back. Alyson gave me a great book for FHE. It has a lesson, treat idea, songs, and a print out color page. It's for the JR. primary level-so it's perfect. If you want I can get the name of it for you.
I'm glad your energy is coming back. It really helps to get things done. Sorry about your nerve. I hear you loud and clear on that one.
I don't even answer the phone unless I know the # so I'm not even sure if they would butcher my name, but if it's Primary Children's they have butchered up Micah's before. Ma-Ki?!:D Have a a great day!

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Wow, that was a lot, I can't remember all what I wanted to comment on. :)

Sounds like you are keeping busy. Your chore spread sheet reminds me of the one I made a few years ago, it really did help, I need to reimplement it! :)