Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Magnolia and Rose Blossoms

I decided to add some more pictures of my magnolia blossoms. The first 6 have now bloomed and I have three new buds that will bloom probably in a few weeks. I learned that I have to get out there the first day they bloom to get pictures or they quickly fade.
I also have three rose bushes, 2 yellow and one red. (I now have a peach one my inlaws gave me for mother's day that I need to get planted outside.) The picture of my yellow blooms did not turn out. The one yellow rose bush I have had for about 4 years. The other two have been for three years. For some reason my red rose bushes always die on me. The one I have now I thought I lost for two years now. Two winters ago it completely died. We dug out all the weeds around it and it started to come back. I got a few blooms last year and then it died again by fall. This spring when we redid our flower bed I thought I would give it one more chance to grow and it has really flourished this year. It is much smaller than my other two but hopefully it will not die this winter since the weeds shouldn't be able to strangle it now we put down the plastic stuff.

Some day when I have more energy and time I would like to have a large flower garden and grow some of my other favorite flowers: daisies, gerber daisies, pansies, daffodils, lillies, etc. But for now I will stick with the roses and the magnolia tree. The magnolias grow really well here in Florida and I imagine they would in most Southern states. My inlaws were impressed mine already have blooms. Theirs are 10 feet tall and have been growing a few years longer and still don't have blooms. I was really surprised to see a bloom on it last year when it was only 3 years old since I had read somewhere that most don't bloom until at least 5 years old.

1 comment:

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

Very pretty. I'm sure they smell good too.