Thursday, October 21, 2010

So I love to Sew

I use to hate to sew.  I learned how back when I was in 4H.  My grandmother taught me how to sew.  She was a beautiful seamstress but one of my only memories from the lessons is that I caught my jumper I was sewing in the serger and it cut a big whole in the strap and my grandma yelled at me while she tried to fix it.  My older sister was so much better than I.  After a couple of years I stopped sewing.

Years past.  I took up crocheting and knitting again after a long hiatus as well.  I was working as an intern at Walmart and whenever I could I would help out in the Fabrics department.  I saw these people bring in these beautiful things that they sewed and thought I could do that.  So I used my nice bonus and bought me a sewing machine and started up again.  The next year I moved in with Catherine, who was majoring in it.  She gave me so much tips and was much more patient with me than my grandma was.

I still didn't like it as much as I hoped.  If I started screaming at my sewing machine, I would know it was time to put it away.  I made my own wedding dress but still didn't know if I liked it so much.  Then this summer I sat down for two months and just sewed.  A miracle happened.  I put in a zipper and it looked good.  I put in another and it looked good.  For the first time I attempted to make bias tape, and it worked.  I use to skip parts (make the pattern simplier) if I didn't think I could do something I hadn't done before.  This time I found myself trying them and mostly I succeeded.  It made me excited.

I entered the things in the fair and I got almost all blue ribbon.  I was so shocked.  However, I took a few weeks off to make cards and work on scrapbooks but today I started to get out some new patterns and material to make a few things.  I felt myself getting excited and having a lot more patience with things that use to drive me nuts.  What is first up?  A kimono inspired dress for Sheila made of red brocade with yellow flowers.  I cut the material today.  I will be putting these items in the fair next year so I making them a size too big for her.  Also up for this month, a yellow eyelot dress for Kimberly, denim shorts and a button down shirt for Timmy, and a skirt for me.  I plan to make 4-5 things a month.

I will need to get a new sewing machine soon.  Mine is almost 10 years old and I have been having trouble with the button hole feature.  Also my serger still sits in the box.  I need to just suck it up and do it and forget the yelling grandma episode because I love that she taught me something that I now love to do.

1 comment:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

That is great, I really enjoy sewing, but I am intimidated by it too. I tend to pick easy things and find another way around it. You are amazing though, great job getting things in to the fair! I'd love to see some finished products. Maybe we can challenge each other, though I know I would never get 4-5 done a month. :)